Monday, October 24, 2011


Adventures in Android, Part II

A brief annoyance that I was dealing with:

For testing purposes I wanted a service to initiate a status bar notification. I couldn't understand why, but for some bizarre reason Android kept failing miserably when trying to load the resource for my notification's icon. I kept seeing stuff in my ddms logs about android.content.res.Resources$NotFoundException.

I checked my code and my resources over and over again. I blew away the gen directory and rebuilt my app from scratch. I scoured StackOverflow for a situation similar to mine, yet nothing quite the same came up.

After pulling my hair for an hour or two, I inadvertently realized what the problem was.

I'm running CyanogenMod 7.1 on my phone. I had it set to forcibly install apps to my phone's SD card. Unfortunately for me, my app doesn't include any SD card support whatsoever.


Problem solved: I moved the app into my phone's internal memory. I also decided to end my little experiment with forcing new installs onto the SD card.

Bloody hell!


Release 7.0; Copyright © 1996-2012 Aaron Klotz. All Rights Reserved.